Sunday, January 22, 2012

#ImA-nnoyed with Dr. Pepper

Recently Dr. Pepper has been playing this ad:


It's a cute bit of advertising. "You're an original when you drink Dr. Pepper!" Look at all those people coming together. And those shirts are kinda fun.

Except clearly Dr. Pepper has a view of women shared by your average 15-year old boy. Of the first five shirts this ad features, two of those are worn by women. See if you can guess which ones:

"I'm a one of a kind."

"I'm a dreamer."

"I'm a cougar."

"I'm a beginner."

"I'm a control freak."

Really, guys? A cougar and a control freak? The men are labeled with thoughtful, positive descriptions; the women are portrayed as old and shrill. Get over your ex-girlfriends, move on from your "Graduate" fantasies, and start to see women as more than "Cathy" cartoons.

We all (men as well) have moments when the control freak takes over. And I saw one of the Twilight movies in the theater: the average age in that room was about 35, and you better believe it wasn't only the teenagers drooling over Taylor Lautner in the buff. We can and should own those parts of our personalities, but that doesn't mean we should be reduced to minor characters in a romantic comedy.

Dr. Pepper made a mistake. This kind of thoughtless sexism drives me up the wall. I was offended, because I know that I am more than my worst moments.

As for me, I'll be sticking to Diet Coke, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis